National Spina Bifida Conference
October 19 and 20, 2012
Presenters slides can be downloaded on the Program page.
Welcome to the first (2 day) National Spina Bifida Conference to be held in Australia since 2001. (We acknowledge previous National Seminars held at Monash, Melbourne in 2009 and 2010.)
The NSW Spina Bifida Collaborative Group is pleased to be holding this event on the 19th and 20th October 2012 at Novotel Sydney Olympic Park.
We are preparing an inclusive program for clinicians and service providers involved in the care of children, young people and adults living with Spina Bifida.
Aims of Conference:
- Educate health professionals and service providers on current treatment and models of care for people living with Spina Bifida.
- Share knowledge and information with other Spina Bifida Services throughout Australia and New Zealand
- Encourage networking of health professionals and service providers working with children, young people and adults living with Spina Bifida.
The NSW Spina Bifida Collaborative held its inaugural meeting at The Children's Hospital at Westmead on 10th November 1999. The Spina Bifida Collaborative was first initiated as a means of networking and sharing information between the two major children's hospitals in NSW caring for young people with Spina Bifida.
In 2000, the Collaborative Group included Adult Spina Bifida Health Services and Northcott Disability Services. In 2003, the Spina Bifida Service from John Hunter Children's Hospital joined the group.
In 2009, NSW Health funded a Statewide Adult Resource Team to provide clinical consultation, education and support to health professionals as well as young people and adults with Spina Bifida across NSW. This service based at Northcott Disability Services was sponsored by the NSW Spina Bifida Collaborative Group.
Since the inaugural collaboration meeting the Collaborative Group has held twice yearly meetings and currently has over 30 committee members from a diverse mix of government and non-government organisations.
- Joanne Brady — Northcott Disability Services
- Julie Dicker — The Children’s Hospital at Westmead
- Jason Birse — Sydney Children’s Hospital
- Dr Charles Scarf — Sydney Children’s Hospital
- Dr Antoinette Botman — The Children’s Hospital at Westmead
- Gai Lovell — John Hunter Children’s Hospital
- Julianne Lane — Sydney Children’s Hospital